Insulation Question

Hi i have a stud wall partition between my 2 girl's bedrooms. would i need to strip the plaster board off both sides and do what needs to be done??? thanks!!!

They keep waking each other up as you can easily hear talking between the walls. How can I soundproof it - reasonably cheaply but it has to work as I am not getting much sleep!!! Also, there isn't really enough room to do anything 1 side as the door is next to the wall. I have plenty of space the other side though up to a foot that I wouldn't mind loosing if it made a difference.

4 Answers

Best Answer

Take off 1 side ,put sound insulation between the studs,then double board in 12.5mm plasterboard and re-skim

Answered 28th Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Yes, do as above. You should also use sound proof plasterboards, which are more expensive but for one wall it will be not a big difference. Best luck

Answered 29th Feb 2012

Provini Trades

Member since 10 Mar 2010

Substructure has told you the way to go.

Answered 28th Feb 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

The ideal thing to do would be to build a new stud wall, in front of the existing one with the sole plate and head plate on and under a neoprene pad and a 10mm gap between the two walls. Then insulate with acoustic insulation and double board with 15mm soundbloc plasterboard but if thats not feasable, do as substructure suggests but double board the one side in 15mm soundbloc plasterboard remembering to overlap the joints of the first layer of boards with the second. The soundbloc plasterboard has one side coloured blue good luck.

Answered 12th Mar 2012


Member since 10 Mar 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Insulation Installers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions