Ask a tradesperson

Security Systems

Part p accreditation

To install outside security cameras do the installers need Part P accreditation ?
Thanks in advance

26 Answers from MyBuilder Security System Installers

Best Answer

Only if extra sockets ect are needed.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

No you don’t have to be a part p installer but you need to know what your doing to set up the dvr box and where your cameras are positioned and pointing as not to cause issues with surrounding neighbours.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

No absolutely not, to install a CCTV system there is no requirement to do anything to any of the electrical cabling as the systems simply plug in to existing electrical sockets.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

No they do need need to be Part P, however be aware of the cowboys out there.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Part P registration is for electrical installations I.e. lighting or a ring main for the power sockets. Most CCTV installations only require access to a plug socket so as long as one is available no electrical work is required.
If a new power plug socket is needed as part of the CCTV installation then the installer will need to be at least Part P qualified.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Part P is for 240vac and doesn’t apply to 12vdc . One thing that can invoke part P is the permanent connection of power supplies for cameras and recording equipment and monitors etc . Normally these are plugged in via fused plugs . If a new 240vac circuit is fitted to accommodate the cctv system , appropriate compliance and documentation would apply .


Answered 14th Jun 2019

If the camera comes with power supply such as transformer to plug and powered the camera, or its POE camera then part P is not applied, if you have to add a circuit to the existing circuit indoor or outdoor then Part P is applied
Thank you


Answered 14th Jun 2019

No just a good knowledge of correct installation as most cameras only take 12volts 1amp to run them and it is possible to use a inline plugin psu with a 4way spiller to power up to 4 cameras from one of these 12v 5amp in-line psu’s


Answered 14th Jun 2019

To install CCTV cameras you would not need to be part P as cameras are low voltage and powered by a plug socket.


Answered 14th Jun 2019


The simple answer is no as CCTV is mainly 12v it's a low voltage system no 240v mains is required unless he is installing any new 240v mains sockets in which case yes he would need part p cert


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Not sure in N. Ireland


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Part P is not required for low voltage products


Answered 14th Jun 2019

No they don't - a proper CCTV install is a closed 12v or Poe install system which can run from a separate fuse spur


Answered 14th Jun 2019

You do not need part p to install a camera, as cameras are extra low voltage. The only reason you would need part p for is if you are working with a 240v camera.


Answered 14th Jun 2019



Answered 14th Jun 2019

As long as you are not wiring into mains or fitting new fused spurs then no you dont need part p everything needs to be signed off if any electrical modifications are carried out from an install , systems now come with power supplys supplied and we can power over ethernet ect , if installers are unsure the can contact local councils for advice before carrying out works


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Acreditacions are not needed to install external CCTV cameras. However, the ones who hold any accreditation as SSAIB, NSI, HCSA, etc they will make the difference. Also you ensure that your installation it's been done following British Standards and Regulations


Answered 14th Jun 2019



Answered 14th Jun 2019



Answered 14th Jun 2019

If the single camera system plugs into an existing power point the answer is no. However if the system requires its own dedicated power point to be installed into the house electrical system then that power point should be fitted by a registered electrician.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Not as far as I know
It's only if your working on the electrical system.I have minor works qualification which allows me to install a fused spur for alarm systems.


Answered 14th Jun 2019

There is no requirement to be part P qualified, any cabling for CCTV is very low voltage.
The only requirement would be if you were to fit any new 240v devices then this would require part P


Answered 14th Jun 2019

Not necessary in England as long as a new circuit is not being added. In Wales however it is required as outside lighting may be considered as "garden lights"


Answered 14th Jun 2019



Answered 14th Jun 2019

If you're adding a new circuit to the consumer unit for this, then yes you do.


Answered 15th Jun 2019

Not unless the engineer is installing a 240v power supply for the camera.

We use low voltage IP camaras and the 12v DC power is send down the same cable as the video direct from the NVR (recorder) No electrical qualifications at all are required for this.

Kind regards



Answered 28th Jun 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories