Conservatories Question

Neighbours have extended their house by putting a conservatory, concerned as the gutter overhangs into our property. is this legal? how much will it cost to correct their conservatory so we can extend

4 Answers

Best Answer

Nothing from there building should intrude over the boundary between your two properties, this is a legal fact, it doe's happen sometimes, however this
requires your written consent, your neighbours may not have known this, but
the conservertory company should have.
I would speek to them and explain your building intention's, and find anothere
way for them to dispose of there rain water without intruding onto your side
of the boundary.
Try to do this between yourself's as solicitors love these kind of disputes.
Kind regards

Answered 27th Feb 2012

Paul Callaghan Builder

Member since 27 Feb 2012

No its not legal.As already stated,your neighbours probably didnt realise but the conservatory monkeys definetly would.When all is said and done,they have to remove it if you want them to.

Answered 27th Feb 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

My advice to you would be to approch your neighbours with your findings and ask for them to contact there company that installed the conservatory,
You will probley find that your neighbours are unaware of this problem, maybe write them a letter and keep a copy and hand it to them once you have spoken to them put in it that you require an answer to how they intend resolving the issue within a couple of week before you take further action, do not just post it in the door as you do not want to start a neighbours from hell war as this is nither yours or there fault but that of the said company that has erected it

Answered 12th Sep 2012


Member since 12 Sep 2012

If you get on with your neighbors, then just pop round and discuss it with them. It shouldn't overhang your boundary, but it is a simple mistake to make. Maybe ask if they can install a water butt in your garden so you can make use of their gutter in exchange for leaving it as it is?...Otherwise its legal action and can get costly and lead to bad feelings between yourself and your neighbor. So up to you how you approach it.

Answered 24th Jan 2014


Member since 13 Jun 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conservatory Installers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions