Insulation Question

Is there a problem with my insulation?

I'm hoping you can advise, or suggest a survey that might help.

I moved into my new build property around 3 years ago and I have some concerns around the insulation. The property is a terraced townhouse.

The ground floor constantly feels cold in the winter – the heating can be on for hours and the room only ever reaches a comfortable heat and within 30 minutes of the heating being switched off the temperatures drops again. The ground floor is open plan and we have removed a radiator from the kitchen and initially thought this was the problem, however, the really cold areas seem to be closer to the patio doors at the opposite end of the room – the floor in particular at this end gets extremely cold. The floor is concrete with joists then floorboards.

On the first floor we are experiencing problems in the living room. The external wall in this room is always cold to touch and the floor around this wall is cold. There are draughts coming in from around the windows and particularly from underneath the window sill.

The external wall in the rooms above the living room also feel cold to touch.

I am concerned about the quality of the build from the developer. 12 months ago we had to have the ground floor removed and placed as we discovered damp patches on the floor boards. The insulation underneath was soaked and the floorboards were rotting. They couldn't find a leak and the assumption was made that the house was flooded before we moved in and it wasn't dealt with properly.

Another owner in the development has had problems with the walls in her property not being insulated at all.

I want to get this matter dealt with sooner rather than later so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 Answers

sounds like no insulation and possibly problems with your damp course? i would get a survey as soon as possible

Answered 27th Mar 2012

alphabet building services

Member since 23 Mar 2012

I would recommend getting a surveyor or reputable builder around for inspection. All properties are build with a ten year latent liability insurance. Without this you would not have been able to get a mortgage. This will cover you for any major defects. Building control would have kept an record during the build process. The company that is responsible for latent liability would have checked workmanship during this process and not provided a certificate on completion as they are responsible for the structural side of the building.

Answered 3rd Apr 2012

Pinnacle Developments

Member since 10 Feb 2012

Hi I am sorry to hear about your problem, but you should have a ten year NHBC guarantee and insurances on the property. Your first course of redress is towards the builders/developers, however, if they have not completed the build correctly then you are very unlikely to get the issue resolved.
The second point is to get an organisation in that can offer you a FREE SURVEY and who deal with this type of issue.
We do offer solutions to the home owner as heat loss prevention specialists and part of our product range includes high density insulation, Thermotex Walldry which helps protect the outer fabric of any building, brick or mortar from the cold and weather penetration, we also specialise in rising damp problems.

Answered 18th Oct 2013


Member since 6 Aug 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Insulation Installers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions