Architectural Services Question

Do i need a professional consultation certificate

I am currently in the process of converting a ground floor office (which is the only non-residential accommodation in a block of flats) into 2 one bed flats. All planning permission has been obtained etc. I have had an offer from a potential purchaser and have passed these details to my solicitor who has advised me that I will need a Professional Consultation Certificate to sell the flat to the potential buyer as it will be a requirement of their mortgage provider. I have never been made aware of this requirement previously – is it correct and if so how can I obtain such a certificate if the work is now almost finished?

2 Answers

I have never had to provide anything like this or even heard of it. There are certificates for payments to the builder, the final certificate demonstrate the client is happy with the work and the building is fit for the purpose intended, usually there is some retention involved for a defects period stated on the final certificate. You may need an energy performance certicate from the change of use, similar to the energy rating certificate on fridge and of course the final sign off from the building inspector

Answered 24th Feb 2012

DBD Consultants

Member since 1 Dec 2011

No feedback

It is a legitimate request and will have come from your potential purchaser's lender. You need to look at section 6.6.4 of the Lenders' Handbook - a Google search will turn it up, or look at fo an example of how to go about getting this. It basically reassures the bank that you have not built a hovel unfit for purpose and that it is worth money lent against it - the same way a survey would need to be done when buying a property, I suppose.

Yet more unexpected paperwork at the end of a project! I would recommend a local CIAT registered practise - they would be a good bet for this type of work.

Answered 1st Mar 2012

South Coast Architectural Technology Ltd

Member since 1 Mar 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions