Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Gap between between stairs and wall


There is a gap of approx a quarter of an inch between the plank which holds up the stairs and the wall. This has previously been filled and doesn't feel unstable. Could someone tell me if this means that the stairs could collapse and requires remedial work?

The plank I mean is the one that the treads slot into and sits against the wall the entire length of the stairs.

Many thanks

2 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

The plank you are refering to is the stringer. It should be fixed to the wall with masonry nails or screws n plugs. To cover the gap you can buy timber moulding trims in BnQ


Answered 20th Feb 2012

Not many walls run straight & perfectly upright so a small gap between wall & stringer is quite normal and a good bit of decorating will remedy that


Answered 20th Feb 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories