Plumbing Question

Just had a combi boiler fitted , pressure too high for shower which cracked ,can i install electric shower?

combi boiler is situated downstairs so no tank in loft will this effect water pressure ?

4 Answers

Best Answer

if its a pumped power shower it should have been removed when the combi boiler was installed ,much better to replace with a thermostatic mixer shower suitable for a combi boiler

Answered 21st Oct 2012

Paul Caton Gas Services

Member since 23 Mar 2010


A standard electric shower has a cold water feed only. Therefore the new boiler pressure has no bearing on being able to install one. You would need a new power feed to the bathroom via 6 or 10mm cable depending on what power rating shower you want. It's more cost but i'd always use 10mm cable to supply a shower as allows for changes to a higher power rated shower should you wish to change in future. You also need a cold water feed to the shower. Depending on what consumer unit you have you may have to have a shower unit installed if either there are no spare ways or no RCD protection.

May be cheaper to have a new mixer shower fitted as if you've not got an electric shower installed currently I'd give a guesstimate of £300+


Answered 17th Feb 2012

Mr Wires

Member since 7 Oct 2011

Hi, i would be very surprised if the fitting of a combi boiler has caused your problem as they run on mains pressure Commonly between 2-3 bar they don't increase pressure. I expect that old age of your old shower is the cause of the problem and it is very unlikely that you will get the same problem again as they are designed to handle in the region of 10 bar pressure (same as s pressure washer) Hope this helps .

Answered 22nd Feb 2012

Mobile Services

Member since 24 Jan 2012

If your installing an electric shower in your bathroom you will need to get part p building regulation consent from your local authority and pay their part P fee (approx £200 to £300). This is because electrical works in the bathroom are notifiable under part P of the building regulations.

Once you have installed your shower cable (which must be RCD protected) the local authority inspector will visit and check and test your work. If it meets the requirements of BS7671:2008 he will sign it off and issue you with a Part P building regulation certificate. If there is any defects though, you will have to put these right and pay for a re-test visit. As such it works out far cheaper to hire a registered electrician who can install the shower cable and self certify the job.

Please note that if you decide to take a risk and avoid notifying the job, you can be fined up to £5000 for breaching the regulations.

see link below for more details;

Answered 10th Jan 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions