Damp Proofing Question

Condensation issue

Condensation issue in front bedroom of small house, opposite bathroom

Walls are black/cold/damp around window, and where the wall meets the ceiling too. Walk in wardrobe smells terribly musky and the wall has got a lot of mould on too. Window always seems to have plenty of condensation on it.

Lead to believe this is a problem with condensation rather than damp.

What would be the best way to deal with this? Would it bit advisable to fit a couple of air bricks would this cause too much of a draught in winter? How about fitting a dehumidifier, would that help at all. And just how effective are loft ventilation units, they're probably a bit out of my price range to be honest.

Many thanks, any advice or help is most welcome

Forgot to add top of house is fully rendered bottom is brickwork which has recently been repointed (shortly before condensation problems seemed to appear).

2 Answers

Best Answer

Condensation causes the black spores you are talking about. if there are spores then there isnt damp as the salts in the damp kill off the mycellium that cause the spores. the best treatment is ventilation as this counteracts the effects of condensation. A dehumidifier will remove the excess moisture however an airbrick is the cheapest option. You can also purchase a ventilator that sits in the loft space and transfers the warm air from the loft to passive vents in the ceiling. These can cost about £1000 fitted another option is to fit a moisture sensitive fan into the rooms affected which kicks in when the relative humidity reaches a certain level and takes the moisture out of the room. hope this helps

Answered 17th Feb 2012

BBC Home Improvements Ltd

Member since 22 May 2008

I have been in many houses like this over the years where there is black mould mainly on the outside walls especially in the corners at the bottom and at ceiling level. Insulating the inside of the external wall and making sure loft insulation is pushed into the eaves would help eliminate cold bridging..

Answered 18th Feb 2012


Member since 18 Feb 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions