Electrical Question

Can i run a fused spur off a non fused spur to run under cabinet lights? the spur is wired in 2.5mm t&e. cheers paul

3 Answers

Best Answer

Yes this would be permissable under the 17th edition wiring regulations BS7671, as overloading is not an issue and you can fuse down to 3amps for the lights.

But as has been pointed out already due to the work being in the kitchen its fully notifiable under part P of the building regulations. So it needs to be registered with local building control, tested and certificated.

The risk is that you could potentially be fined up to £5000 for breaching part P of the regulations, if you DIY.

It sounds like a cheap £30 job for a decent electrician! so is it worth taking the risk?

Answered 16th Feb 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

All electrical works that involve wiring of cables should be completed by a qualified electrician and notified to building control (Part P).

Answered 16th Feb 2012

Holloway's electrical contractors

Member since 16 Apr 2011

You shouldnt be messing with kitchen electrics if your not a part p sparks

Answered 16th Feb 2012

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions