Carpentry & Joinery Question

How would you make an old kitchen keep its character when updating with "new" units ?

This is a small beamed kitchen needing new sink, washing machine,oven, etx plus wood shelves and cupboards?plus new "old looking flooring" !!

2 Answers

In respect to the sink I would fit a Belfast sink which is ceramic and has a cottage sort of character to it. Have the washing machine, dish washer, tumble dryer, etc hidden in built in units with fitted doors. A "Rangemaster" oven should give you the character your looking for.

Answered 15th Feb 2012

MJT Construction

Member since 1 Feb 2012

Hello. You have many options open to you. The veriety of traditional style kitchen units and shelving available on the market today is vast, any of the diy sheds would be one place to start looking for ideas. Or if finances alow have something bespoke built, this is what I did 18 years ago and the units are still going strong.
Washing machines can be hidden behind units or false doors, ovens cant be hidden, but a taditional range style unit could work, as could a bulter or belfast sink, either bought new or reclaimed. Work tops in real stone (marble, granite or limestone) or hardwood such as beech. As for flooring, wood or tiles/stone & new or reclaimed are your questions, but oak plank or quarry tiles are my favourite for a traditional look.
You could of course have the whole lot taken out of your hands by a good designer/kitchen installer, if they ask the right questions, like colours, textures, warmth, how thing feel to you. They should then be able to come up with a solution that only needs minor tweeking for perfection. In this situation it is very important that the designer listens to what you want and like as much as what you dont like.
Good luck

Answered 15th Feb 2012

GWM Interiors

Member since 13 Feb 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions