Ask a tradesman
Replace balustrade and handrails
Is it possible to replace tatty old balustrades with new oak ones without fundamentally replacing the whole staircase?
We have a staircase that goes into the lounge, it's not the nicest and now that we have nice oak doors it doesn't match with anything.
I thought I would ask it here instead of getting people out to quote and find out it is not an option.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners
Stairs and balustrades are one of my most frequent jobs. I’ve done loads of them..
Short answer is yes you can replace all components whilst leaving the treads/risers and stringers alone.. effectively all the rest is for use of handrail ; so newels, spindles ,handrail and base rail can all be replaced ,, however depending on the shape size and layout of the stairs can make this very tricky at times ,but can still be done,, just effects overall cost of the project :: sounds like you have potential for a stunning centre piece of a staircase:: good luck
Answered 17th Feb 2019
Barnard Castle • Member since 22 Feb 2019 • 19 jobs, 100% positive feedback
yes the balustrade can be replaced without removing the old staircase. The newel posts at the top and bottom are the trickiest parts to replace and may require lifting up some floor boards, but once those are in the rest is straight forward.
Answered 22nd Feb 2019
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- What can I expect to pay for labour only to replace an existing electric cooker hob and oven with a new gas hob and a new electric oven. Gas and electric supply already behind cooker and ready to use.
- Order of work for electrics, new kitchen and bathroom, carpets, replace heating system, painting and replacing doors and windows
- New stair hand rails and balustrade help!
- Old 70s architraves, doors and skirting - to replace or to not replace?