Electrical Question

Kair heat recovery extractor

Hi,
I'm thinking of having a Kair Heat recovery extractor fitted in our Kitchen (We have a condensation problem) could anyone tell me the estimated cost in electricity useage of running this heat recovery extractor? Also wher is the best place to purchase this item?

Thanks, Any information appreciated.

Moss

2 Answers

Best Answer

Hello Moss & other potential purchasers.

I know this is an old question but I would like to set the record straight as the above information is very misleading and factually incorrect. The cost of running the unit is actually less than a standard 60 watt lightbulb.

The correct figure is roughly £16/year and I will show you below exactly how I have calculated this.

The Kair K-HRV150 heat recovery ventilators are designed to provide continuous background ventilation. They run on trickle extracting damp stale air and replacing it with fresh air from the outside of the property. The unit will boost automatically when the humidity reaches above a use-set level in the rooms where they are fitted, or the manual-boost pullcord can be pulled to force the machine go onto manual boost.

The unit is a continuous running appliance, meaning it runs 24/7, 365 days a year. The unit operates on either a 9 watt 'Trickle' Speed or a 46 watt 'Boost' speed (Source: http://www.kair.co.uk/product/kair-heat-recovery-room-ventilator/) The below calculation is based on the unit running on Trickle for 80% of the time, and Boost for the remaining 20% of the time.

You can quickly calculate the running cost using these two figures, the amount of time the unit runs for, and the price you pay for your electricity - At the time of writing the UK average is ~10.252 pence per kw (Source: http://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/tariffs-per-unit-kwh).

1 Month = 730.484 Hours (Source: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Hours+in+a+month)
80% Trickle = 584.387 Hours
20% Boost = 146.097 Hours

Using this calculator (http://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running_costs_electricity/) we can work out the following running cost:

##############
TRICKLE COSTS:
##############

1.Watts = 9 Watts - K-HRV150/12RH Trickle Speed
2. Watts/1000 = kilowatts or kW = 0.01 kW (The calculator rounds this up to 2 decimal places)
3. Hours used in month = 584.387 Hours
4. Kilowatts x Hours = Kilowatt Hours or kWh = 5.84 kWh
5. Electricity price (in pence per kWh ) = 10.252 pence (UK Average)
6. kWh x pence = Cost (in pence) to run the item for 1 month = 59.87pence
7. Divide by 100 to get to cost in £'s to run for 1 month = £0.60
8. Number of the same items in the house = 1 x KHRV150/12RH
____________________________________________________________________________________
Total Cost to run K-HRV150/12RH on trickle for 80% of time 1 month = £0.60

##############
BOOST COSTS:
##############

1.Watts = 46 Watts - K-HRV150/12RH Boost Speed
2. Watts/1000 = kilowatts or kW = 0.05 kW (The calculator rounds this up to 2 decimal places)
3. Hours used in month = 146.097 Hours
4. Kilowatts x Hours = Kilowatt Hours or kWh = 7.3 kWh
5. Electricity price (in pence per kWh ) = 10.252 pence (UK Average)
6. kWh x pence = Cost (in pence) to run the item for 1 month = 74.84 pence
7. Divide by 100 to get to cost in £'s to run for 1 month = £0.75
8. Number of the same items in the house = 1 x KHRV150/12RH
____________________________________________________________________________________
Total Cost to run K-HRV150/12RH on boost for 20% of time for 1 month £ 0.75

##################
TOTAL COSTS COSTS:
##################

TOTAL COST PER MONTH: £0.60 + £0.75 = £1.35 / month
TOTAL COST PER YEAR: £1.35 x 12 months = £16.20 / year

##############
WHERE TO BUY:
#############

You can buy these direct from Kair via i-sells.co.uk http://www.i-sells.co.uk/kair-heat-recovery-extractor-fan-12vac-selv-humidistat

Sources:

http://www.kair.co.uk/product/kair-heat-recovery-room-ventilator/
http://www.i-sells.co.uk/kair-heat-recovery-extractor-fan-12vac-selv-humidistat
http://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/tariffs-per-unit-kwh
http://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running_costs_electricity/
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Hours+in+a+month

Answered 29th Apr 2015

Kiltox Damp Free Solutions

Member since 28 Apr 2015

No feedback

Based on approx 2 hours use per day, it would work out at about £200 per year

Answered 11th Feb 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions