Ask a tradesman

Restoration & Refurbishment

i have a grade ii listed building in a conservation area , i had major damp, and found lots of holes and wasps nests in my loft

the roof is now off and i can't believe how amazing it looks .. . . however conservation and building regs have now come round, so where do I begin . . . .do i need an architect, structural engineer both . . ?? To guide me thru, as conservation weren't happy i got rid of plaster and dropped my ceilings even tho they were rotten . .. . . .do i need planning permission for roof lights.

9 Answers from MyBuilder Restoration & Refurb Specialists

Best Answer

My advice would be to get in touch with an architect and possible a engineer before you go any further as they should know all the pit falls that lay ahead. As for roof lights you will need planing but i dought if you will get it as the building is listed. I did up a grade 2 listed cottage a few years ago and it made it a lot easier having an architect to do all the spade work


Answered 25th Mar 2011

as it is a listed building you are only allowed to replace like for like. you may be allowed to put roof lights in providing they are consevation roof your jobs on this site get a builder round to quote for the work and let them deal with planning and building regs.
most work on listed buildings must have building regulation approval.


Answered 25th Mar 2011


the best advice i can offer is to get the conservation officer "back onside" They will normally react helpfully if they see that you are attempting to correct "errors of judgement" Keep throwing questions at them and ask for their advice. I have just completed the restoration of a grade 11 listed Georgian house and cottage, let me know if you need i can help, i am always looking for work!

Good luck



Answered 25th Mar 2011

i agree with the two above. having them onside can save you loads of hassle.
Regards Roger


Answered 22nd Apr 2011

Hello. It is important that you follow correct procedures with a listed building. If you don't, you could be breaking the law and as well as being penalised you will be required to reinstate the work to its previous condition. This will apply even if the work you undertake is not historically important.

Furthermore undertaking inappropriate works to an old building can detrimentally affect its value as well as its appearance and performance.

I would recommend that you employ a construction design professional - either an architect (by law you have to be a member of the RIBA to use that title) or an experienced architectural technician (who may be a bit cheaper) who is experienced in working with listed buildings. You may be able to get recommendations as to suitably experienced professionals from your local Planning Officer

They can help you prepare a design and advise you as to what will be acceptable to The Conservation Officer, The Planning Dept. and Building control. They will advise whether a structural engineer is required and if necessary will appoint one to assist with the structural design and any necessary calculations.

To answer your final question - yes you do need planning permission to install rooflights in the roof of a listed building and you will probably be required to install a conservation type rooflight, for example those supplied by The Rooflight Company.

Good luck and Happy Building.



Answered 25th Mar 2011

Dear Patel,

Firstly a site inspection would have to be conducted to understand how much you have already removed and to ascertain how to move forward.

I can confirm that if you are located in a conservation area you will need to apply for permission to change any aspect of the exterior of the property. You will also be required to demonstrate any materials you wish to use moving forward. For example, if your roof has been removed you will need to show the roof covering you propose to reinstate with and you will need to show the type of roof light you wish to use. There are conservation roof lights avalible that noramlly are accepted. You will also have to consider if the roof lights will allow you over look any adjacent property. You may require planning permisson if they do or use a obsucre glass.

To confirm if a roof structure is sound you should seek the advice of a structural engineer.

Depending on your budget you may wish to employe the services of an architect as they will be able to guide you through all of these processes. However an experienced builder should be able to guide you, but they should also be honest and state if they are unsure and ask for professional advice.

We would be able to help with all apsects and deal with all the enquiries you have in house.

Please do not hesiate to contact me if you require any further asistance.


Peter Saul

Salisbury Builders Limited


Answered 25th Mar 2011

Unless you know what you're doing. I think you would be better off employing a experienced project manager to help you arrange everything. It could save you a lot of hassle and money in the long run.


Answered 25th Mar 2011

Having worked for many years for English Heritage you do need to get the con/officer on your side. As to the roof you have taken off as long as the timbers are sound you will be ok you will how ever need to put back as much of the old roof tiles as possible and any replacement tiles will need to be ok by the con/officer. As for roof lights the answer will more than likly be NO and you do need to check what is listed as some are listed external only and some internal and external and some property have just certain parts listed, its easy to see and talk rather than write down the ins and outs of Graded Buildings
Hope you get the jist of this But Keep On Side of the Con/Officer he can make your life HELL.


Answered 6th Apr 2011

Hi ,
Go through your Local 'Conservation' Officer ..
There's a Clue in the Title..
You could get yourself into Bother if not.
Like for like replacement is the norm. exceptions can be made as long as you've not 'Pd' off your local Officer.
With referbs of any Class it's a case of balance..
My thoughts are to ask for considered advise,layout you plans for the property and see what you can achieve.
You may need a third party to go through now , it may defuse the situation you find yourself in

Hope that helps



Answered 16th Apr 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories