Electrical Question


ive bought a shower and need some to fit it, a cheap electric to fit it for me its the first shower to be fitted into my house.

5 Answers

Best Answer

In addition to the other replies, most manufacturers state in the isntructions that the shower must be RCD protected. If you do not have or installa n RCD then the manufacturer will not honour their gaurantee if anything gopes wrong with the shower.

All wiring works in the bathroom are notifiable to to the local building control department and must only be carried out by a part P registered electrician, and a certificate issued on completion.

The earth bonding to the mains water will also need to be checked and maybe upgraded if its not compliant to current regulations.

Answered 7th Feb 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

unfortunately electric showers are not cheap to fit ,numerous factors inc position of consumer unit to bathroom ,route of new cable ie making good plastering ,tiles ect

Answered 6th Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

You need a qualified domestic electrician, and a plumber for the water. you need to have a 10mm cable from an Rcd protected consumer unit,with a 40amp fuse/double pole.. upgrade your consumer unit if you have a standard fuse unit!
Do not use anyone who doesn't recommend this way forward if this shower is the first for the property!!

post the job get a professional round


Answered 6th Feb 2012

kelly plumbing Heating & gas

Member since 4 Jan 2012

Not sure what you mean by a "cheap electric[ian]", but do you really want to mess around with the safety of anyone using the shower?

Electricity and water is not the greatest combination, and great care has to be taken to ensure the resulting installation is safe for use. Knowing the wiring regulations and working in accordance with them is essential. Getting electrocuted in the shower is almost certainly going to be terminal.

Also, any electrical installation work in a bathroom MUST be notified to your local area building control (LABC) prior to the work commencing. You can contact them yourself: They will eventually send an inspector to survey your plans and may insist on modifications to those plans. They will then inspect the work following completion. They will charge several hundred pounds for this.

You could use a competent professional electrician, registered with a body appointed by the government to run a "competent person scheme" (eg: NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA, BSI, etc.). Such an competent electrician will be able to notify the work to your LABC as part of the contract to inspect, install and test the shower, without any additional cost.

Oh - and the same applies to the plumber you will need for the watery side!

Do NOT use cheap.

Answered 6th Feb 2012

A Brighter Spark

Member since 22 Dec 2011

My answer same as A Brighter Spark.
Don,t Take a risk get it done Properly.

Answered 6th Feb 2012

April Showers

Member since 18 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions