Gas Work Question

Hi there, silly question i guess but was wondering which type off trader i need to contact to remove a gas fireplace. it is surrounded by tiles and we just want a bare wall left instead. many thanks.

5 Answers

Best Answer

Gas Safe registered engineer to remove fire and make safe.
General builder to remove fireplace and make good.

Answered 2nd Feb 2012


Member since 29 Oct 2008

100 %, require a gas safe registered engineer to isolate / make safe the gas supply to the existing fire.

Then, it's really up to you !

Many building firms are either registered with gas safe themselves, or have trusted tradesmen, to whom the will sub-contract the gas side of the work too.

Alternatively, you could try and find an experienced gas safe registered engineer who can 'multi-task' !

We, on a daily basis carry out this type of work.

We would :

Sort out the gas side for you,

Remove the fire / surround,

Remove the tiling & replaste / make goodr the wall.

Please post a job on this site, detailling your requirements.

If you live within 100 miles of Portsmouth, we would be happy to give you a competitive quotation.

Kind Regards,

Adrian Hagger

southsea plumbing.

Answered 2nd Feb 2012

Southsea Plumbing, Heating, Electrical & Gas Services

Member since 8 Nov 2010

if you can get a hold of a good brain surgeon at short notice then him,failing his availability contact a general builder from this site

Answered 2nd Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Anything to do with gas must be delt with by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
builders and plumbers cannot touch gas unless registered.

Answered 2nd Feb 2012

Deans Heating

Member since 22 Jan 2010

Contact a general builder he should organise a gas safe engineer and do the rest himself

Answered 2nd Feb 2012

HD Design and Build

Member since 13 Jul 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions