Plastering Question

Plasterboarding a cupboard - help!

I am building a cupboard above my stairs in the ceiling space which is to be access from the landing and I am unsure how best to orientate / join my new plasterboard against existing walls (ie should the taper be against the existing walls and then attach an angle to both the new sheet and the existing -or just tape?) Also at one side of my frame I have an external corner which is greater than 90 degrees and I am unsure what kind of anglebead to use? Any help much appreciated! Thanks

EXTRA: Is it reasonable for me to do the drylining boarding and to then get a plasterer in to do the taping and a scim coat?

2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi There,

It doesnt matter if the tapered edge is against wall, you will need to put plasterers fibreglass self adhesive scrim to the join with existing plasterboard and fill/smooth joint with easyfill. Your external angle can be sorted with a skimcoat stop bead which is single sided and is fixed to one side and again both angles filled/smoothed with easy fill.
Hope this helps.


Answered 2nd Feb 2012

A.J Plastering and Tiling

Member since 23 Dec 2008

If you are going to plaster the cupboard walls then cut the tapers off as tapered boards are used for dry-lining and not for skimming over, although you can plaster it. For over/under 90% you need to use 3mm stop beads each side of the angle,,,you can get them from Jewson or Wickes, I haven't seen them in B&Q etc.
This is it:

Hope this helps.

Edit: Answer to you extra question, yes you can put the board up and then get a plasterer to come and skim it for you,,,just google how to.....

Answered 2nd Feb 2012

ABM plastering

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions