Architectural Services Question

I want to extend over 3 meter's deep and have semi detached house

On the left side the neighbour has a 3 meter extension already so from his mid point at a 45 degree angle I could go to 3.8/4 meters without blocking his view. On the other side the neighbour has confirmed to me he would not object as he wants the same, I understand only 3 mteres falls within permitted development what are the chances of me getting 3.8/4 given the new relaxed laws

Also if the neighbours don't object could they still refuse?

do I do a 45 degree angle from their extension or original window?

This extension is within 2 metres of the boundary and size will be 6.5 metres wide 4 meters deep

5 Answers

Best Answer

You can go past 3m on any development with planning permission. Below and including 3m just means you don't need planning and only need to involve building regulations. I wouldn't chance it without that personally

Answered 1st Feb 2012

Signet Building Ltd

Member since 20 Jan 2012

why you asking us ,we are builders not planning officers ,submit the drawings and calcs and see ,varies from county to county

Answered 1st Feb 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

all the information you need is on the "planning portal"
i would also recommend you notify the council and request confirmation for your proposed works before going any further. it would be a pity if it had to be changed afterwards.

Answered 1st Feb 2012

jd kent

Member since 14 Jun 2008

All good answers above, although getting to speak to a planning officer is difficult these days.
The key issue here is the right of light to neighbouring properties. You need to take a line at 45 degrees angle from the middle of the windows to living rooms and bedrooms on neighbouring houses, if your extension is likely to cut through the line, then they likely to object. It seems though they are all doing the same, so probably not an issue.
If you are building within 2m of a boundary, you will need planning permission.
The depth of the extension away from the original wall will affect the type of roof you can have. There is usually around 1.2m between the top of the ground floor windows, and the cill of the window above, and the roof structure of the extension needs to fit within the band. Generally around 3m will allow for a lean-to roof, with concrete tiles on, the further away you get the shallower the pitch is or the flatter the roof becomes.

Answered 5th Feb 2012

DBD Consultants

Member since 1 Dec 2011

No feedback

I'd first speak to the duty officer at your local planning office. If you describe exactly what you want to do, they may be able to give you a decision in principle over the phone.

Answered 2nd Feb 2012

DS Interior Services Limited

Member since 8 Sep 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions