Windows Question

Leaking window and damp plater board

We have a bedroom window- the internal soffit in one corner leaks in heavy rain. About 50cm of the plaster board in the top corner is crumbling and wet. The rest of the plaster board at the top edge of window is fine. No obvious area of leak looking from roof and wall outside or from inside the loft. (not an extension and no nearby plumbing). New triple glazed window has been put in here in last few yrs, before we moved in, but leak does not seem to be coming from the window frame itself. Main question is what tradesman would be best to look at and fix this problem - a builder, a roofer or window fitter. Not sure who best to ask. Also could it be due to something else we have not thought of.

Many Thanks


2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Stephen

Is it a bay window, if so it could be the top of roof on bay. In which case a window fitter or roofer could advise. As we are window installation company we have come across this problem before. I would recommend that you give on of the trades a call and hopefully they will rectify your problem and put your mind at ease.

Hope this helps

Trevor & Mike

Answered 30th Jan 2012

ID Windows Doors Glazing

Member since 21 Nov 2011

agree with trevor and mike, it sounds like the roof or fascia board is letting in the water

Answered 26th Apr 2012

MD Construction

Member since 16 Apr 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions