Ask a tradesman


What are the options with the single skin extension on my house?

I have a single skin extension on the back of the house we bought, previously used as a utility room and we want to convert this into part of the kitchen. If we insulate it from the inside will it still show up on future surverors reports as a watch out for buyers? Can you let me know if insulating from the inside is worth it?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

Best Answer

You can convert this into a room by simply building a timbe frame inside with insulation between. Best thing is to get in touch with your local building control and serve a "building notice" they will inspect the work being undertaken and when complete they will issue you with a certificate.


Answered 27th Jan 2012

its worth it for you while you are living there ,but it will still be classed as a sub standard build with no building cert for foundations ect ect


Answered 27th Jan 2012

There are a couple of options available to you but these are dependent on the construction of the single skin and the space available inside the extension. we would suggest the easiest option would be stud out and insulate the interior. This will reduce the overall size of the room by around 75-100mm (3-4 inches). There are also exterior insulating screed systems available however using such a system could involve some work to the roof if the current depth of the overhang is insufficient to accommodate the additional width.

Any insulation is better than none as the room will be kept warmer, cost less to heat and condensation will be reduced.

As regarding surveyors reports if you decide to go ahead, ask your builder for a detailed invoice or report on completion detailing materials used method of construction etc as well as any warranty offered on the work. This information should be enough to satisfy a surveyor that the work is completed to a good standard and is not likely to cause problems in the future.

If you require any further information there are several good websites that you can research or alternatively your local building control officer will be able to advise as to the best option for you.

Hope this helps

Artro Property Services


Answered 27th Jan 2012

Substructure is spot on.


Answered 29th Jan 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories