New Builds Question

How can i get an independent professional to review the bad work done on my new garden building?

Hello everyone,

I recently contracted someone to building a garden building beginning of June. The time frame for completion was 6-8 weeks. The work was done intermittently on Saturdays and Sundays and is still not done. We do have a contract.
The standard of the work is very poor- the basics such as plastering and tiling are all crooked and sub standard. Also he is now refusing to do the things we had a verbal agreement on- not clearly detailed in the contact.
I am worried there are serious problems that I as a lay person can't even see.

Is there a governing body or an independent surveyor/professional to approach to get a review done quickly?(My builder is not helping- I thought his insurance company could provide someone).

The builders' 2 workers approached me yesterday trying to emotionally bully me to accepting the quality of the work as they will not get paid. They are owed 6-8 weeks worth payment. They felt I was causing problems.

I feel I am stuck with a really bad builder who is used to messing customers and workers.
One reprieve is I have paid around 75% of the work.

There is a long list of complaints including - plumbing, electrical work, windows being wonky and the fibreglass roof making random loud noises.

If anyone can point me into the right direction to independent assessor. Or tell me what my options are.
I would like to address this quickly and professionally.

Many thanks.

3 Answers

Best Answer

The work that they have done not to a very good standard or that doesnt work needs to be amended before payment of any of that work, also bring it forward that you were not aware that they were only doing the work on weekends as it should of be going on for 6-8 weeks if the work is t scheduled for that time then you need to ask them what time scale are they looking to finish the work and they won’t receive any more money until the work is fully completed and your happy with the work. If the builders are not complying with any of what you have told them ask them to leave and find another trustworthy builder to amend the works and complete your task in hand.

Answered 5th Sep 2018

Winstanley Building & Landscaping

Member since 5 Sep 2018

Most builder surveyors will look over the work and do you a conditions report.
Rics are probably your best bet
Good luck alex

Answered 5th Sep 2018

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

The likelyhood is you probably dont want these guys back in to finish what already seems like a bad build. If you have only paid 75% I would wisely use that to find a respected firm to finish things off. A competent builder will be able to advise on what needs to be put right and to make it safe. Any chance of recourse from the builders you used is unlikely and would only cause more stress in my opinion. You could threaten legal action by way of a small claim court (depending on the amount) but then you may need to go down the route of getting/paying a surveyor to produce a comprehensive report.....
I hope that helps

Answered 18th Sep 2018


Member since 6 Sep 2018

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local New Home Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions