Painting & Decorating Question

Repainting dark-stained wood

There's a lot of wood in my living room: large skirting boards, double doors and some wood panelling around a window. (see pictures below). What steps do I need to go through to paint over this wood? Do I need to sand first or can I just go straight on with undercoat. How many coats of undercoat before I can apply gloss? Many thanks.!

5 Answers

Best Answer

In order to make sure the dark wood does not bleed through, you must first rub down the wood and then apply an aluminium primer, this will prevent any discolouration in future. You will then need to undercoat, probably twice due to the silver colour of the primer, and then you can apply a top coat of your choice ie, gloss, satin wood etc. I hope this answers your question.
Good luck there's a lot of work involved.

Answered 24th Jan 2012

A Donkin

Member since 29 Oct 2007

If you need to ask these questions,that suggests with all due respects, you would be better off hiring a decorator

Answered 24th Jan 2012

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

You will need to sand to remove any nibs etc and to give the paint a key.If the wood is varnished it is advisable to apply a coat of aluminium primer to help
prevent paint chipping 1 coat aluminium 2 coats oil bound undercoat 1 coat full gloss
hope this helps
Lionel Bexon

Answered 24th Jan 2012

Tradesman Decorators Nottm/Wirral

Member since 25 Sep 2008

hi i would give all woodwork two undercoates (oil based that is ) and then one coat of gloss. dont forget to sand inbetween coates .

Answered 25th Jan 2012

l gardner decors

Member since 16 Jan 2012

hire a professional this is not a job for home DIY,it will save you in the long run.

Answered 26th Jan 2012

Bright Painting & Decorating Services

Member since 18 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions