Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Next step in converting a shop to a flat

My husband and I are looking at converting a cafe into a ground floor flat with wheelchair access (there's no properties around here that are suitable for us). We've seen a place with the appropriate planning permission already in place and an initial floor plan, although this may need changing to suit our needs.

We've never done anything like this before and I'm not sure where to start let alone what to do next. I feel like we should consultant with a local architect to look it over first before we purchase the property but perhaps you can give us some advise.

1 Answer from a MyBuilder Architectural Designer

Best Answer

Hi Sadie,

I would strongly recommend consulting an architect. They can check the status of the planning permission to ensure it is still valid and advise of any conditions that may have been placed on the original application.

I would also suggest discussing your brief and intentions with them. They should be able to advise if the property is appropriate to the requirements that you set out.

Most architects should be happy to agree an hourly rate for this kind of service, with a view to providing full services should the purchase go ahead.


Answered 30th Jul 2018

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories