Gas Work Question

Hi at the moment we do not have a chimney but we would like a gas fire we live in a bungalow how could we do it we do not have an outside wall

7 Answers

Best Answer

By buying a flue box and connecting with twin wall 125mm flue through the roof, my opinion and i stress that this is only my opinon, going down the route of a fire with a catalyctic converter is counter productive because the air supply needed (100 sq cm ) creates such a draft it makes the room cold.

Answered 20th Jan 2012

sovereign plumbing and heating

Member since 23 Nov 2011

Hi some gas fires now are flueless requiring nothing more than adequate room sqm and ventilation. See manufactorers details for info on this

Answered 20th Jan 2012

Signet Building Ltd

Member since 20 Jan 2012

Hi. You can now buy gas fires that are flueless. They dont need to vent externaly. Have a look in b&q or on the internet.

Hope this helps

OC Carpentry

Answered 20th Jan 2012

OC Carpentry

Member since 9 Jan 2012

run a flue pipe up through the loft.
then build a false chimney breast to hide it

Answered 21st Jan 2012

jd kent

Member since 14 Jun 2008

Hi, This is no problem as some gas/solid fuel fires come with the adoption to send the flue system through the roof and terminate on the roof. Consult a good gas safe engineer in your area and a good gas fire supplier like Bains

if your in southwest we can help/post the job

regards kieran

Answered 20th Jan 2012

kelly plumbing Heating & gas

Member since 4 Jan 2012

Consider a 'hang-on-the-wall' flueless gas fire.

Or, there are some very decent electric simulated flame effect fires available now.

Good luck

Daniel Hart

Answered 21st Jan 2012

Brown and Blue Ltd

Member since 12 Sep 2011

A flueless gas fire. B&Q sell them and plenty on the web, I think Focalpoiint fires is the B&Q brand. Ther are lots on the market. They have a catalytic converter to safely convert the combustion products. They are usually around 1.8kW to 2.4kW, However, the power allowed will depend on the size of the room and also a 5 inch vent will have to be fitted to the outside air somewhere at least 1m away from the fire. You will also probably want a 7 year battery life carbon monoxide detector fitted in the same room, just to be safe. Call a gas engineer before buying the fire to find out what the maximum power output your allowed for the volume of your room.

Answered 21st Jan 2012

Blake Ecotec Ltd

Member since 8 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions