Groundwork & Foundations Question

Restoration of eroded embankment needed which supports gable end of old house

Sloped embankment (approx. length 10m, height 1.5m) with 1 m width shingle path at top, supporting the gable end of 200 year old house which has previously required structural support. Embankment is being eroded by movement of soil down slope due to death of hedging plants and other shrubs. Recent survey by structural engineer recommends "low key approach" to prevent further erosion by either an edging strip set in concrete haunching next to path, or a reinforcing net (eg Tensar Mat) to grow shrubs through and support embankment. Given the importance of this embankment to support the house, is this a job for a landscape gardener or does it require a more high tech approach for a general builder / ground works contractor, please?

2 Answers

Best Answer

I think this job would be easy enough for a decent landscaper to deal with. I have experience in general building (foundations and underpinning) and landscaping (soil erosion and retaining walls), Both trades should have the knowledge to deal with this problem. Especially if there is a specification set by a structural engineer.

Answered 18th Jan 2012

Habitat Landscapes Ltd

Member since 1 Dec 2011

I would ask a groundworker for help with this, they are the specialists in this field. Sounds like a simple fix is required re the use of the words "lo-key" i assume given the solutions listed that the problem is water erosion on the side the bank, hence the haunched strip. Im sure a combination of both ideas would help you sleep well at night.

Good luck

Answered 14th Feb 2012

Local patios and driveways

Member since 24 Jan 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Groundworkers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions