Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Removing internal wall....its very urgent!

its very urgent!

We have bought a house which has got a downstairs,bath and seperate toilet,which are sepaerated by a Non bearing wall(confirmed by the builder,after taking away the upstairs floor boards etc),we want to remove that wall,to make a larger all in one proper bathroom,is there any planning permission required or any building regulation?

Second,In upstairs bathroom,we plan to make it a jack and jill ensuite,so means,cutting through 2 walls and putting in 2 doors in there,and stud walling the exsisting door,any council issues,planning permission or building regulations involved?

Its urgent please


7 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

Planning Permission is not normally required for internal alterations including building or removing an internal wall.

If you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent for any significant works either internal or external.

There are many seemingly straightforward alterations that you may consider undertaking yourself in the home, which require Building Regulation consent. i have suggested a few, although it is by no means exhaustive.

They may seem trivial, but WILL become a problem when you try to sell your property, if you have not obtained Building Regulation Approval before carrying them out. It is best therefore to get things right first time, by contacting your local Building Control Surveyor for advice before you start any work.

■Taking down an internal wall ( even if it appears to be non loadbearing ).
■Moving a staircase.
■Forming a playroom in the loft.
■Installing a rooflight.
■Inserting a new door or window opening.
■Installing an unvented hot water system.
■Installing cavity insulation within existing walls.
■Converting your garage in to a habitable room.
■Removing a chimney breast.
■Changing the method of heating.

Hope this helps Dave


Answered 11th Jan 2012

As long as they are not structural walls then its pretty straight forward and should not need any planning permission or regulations . It never hurts to speak to building control as it won't cost you anything and different councils can have different rules.


Answered 11th Jan 2012

Hi. first and foremost SPEAK TO B/C, they will tell you the regs on this. The golden rule is " if you dont know ask first" you can check for yourself 1. if the joist run with the wall then its non bearing, if they sit on top they are bearing,very simple that one. next get an inspection from a GSI or SSI surveyor , he can tell you how , what . and when,, hopethis helps to clear this up some what..


Answered 16th Jan 2012

Yes you will need to involve building control.Couldnt your builder (that confirmed that the wall was non loadbearing) shed more light on your intentions? You should get a few local builders round for advice and prices.A GOOD one will be able to tell you exactly how to go about doing this work.


Answered 11th Jan 2012

Give your local building control a ring via the council, they will advise.


Answered 11th Jan 2012

If you are not altering the external appearance of the building and are not altering the structure then probably not but I would always advise you to check with your local council planning department.


Answered 11th Jan 2012

Couldn't the builder you've already had round advise you and answer your questions?


Answered 12th Jan 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories