Restoration & Refurbishment Question

I have an ex council house and the bedroom doors need replacing but the sizing is awkward any doors from diy stores wont fit can anyone make doors to fit

9 Answers

Best Answer

Try Magnet joinery or howden joinery, they generally stock alot more sizes than the high street diy stores.

Answered 9th Jan 2012

P.J.P. Building Services

Member since 13 Mar 2011

Have you checked that the door sizes are not metric? Standard metric internal doors are 2040 mm high x 426,526,626,726,826 or 926mm wide. Some ranges are also available in 2000 x 807mm size. They are also 40mm thick as opposed to 35mm for imperial sized doors. You'll probably find they are only available to order from a builders merchants.

Answered 9th Jan 2012

Keith Holwill

Member since 18 Jan 2011

of course they can cost a bit more though ,plenty websites google bespoke internal doors

Answered 9th Jan 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

A good joiner will be able to make individual doors to fit. The cost will be more than standard size doors from DIY stores.

Answered 9th Jan 2012

Ian Dawson Builder

Member since 17 Nov 2011

Hello there at plenty of people wo do doors special order to size but cost alot more. The size you are after might not be too uncommon as you think as most DIY places don't really keep a full size range in stock. Try a local magnet or howdens.

Answered 9th Jan 2012

Smiths Property Services

Member since 4 Jan 2012

Hi meadkidd,

Council houses usually have 2040mm high door's(6ft 8"), rather than our standard 1981mm high door's (6ft 6"...if this is what you mean?

Google those height's of door, you should get loads from B and Q, Wickes in both size's etc...your doors are possibly trimmed slighty, so could be under those heights slightly, but new doors can be trimmed down.

Kind regards


Answered 9th Jan 2012

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

if you buy solid fire doors you can cut theem to size quite a simple job if you know what your doing

Answered 9th Jan 2012

BuildIt Construction

Member since 4 Jan 2012

good local joinery company should be able to make them for you, try yellow pages,or your local paper,
why not place your job in the carpentry & joinery section on this site and see if you get any response from local tradesmen

Answered 9th Jan 2012

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

try asking a local joinery or post it as a job on my builder and someone should be able to make a set of doors for you no problem they will be more expensive , failing that would it be possible to make the doorway bigger and fit a new lining ?

Answered 31st Jul 2018

Top tier carpentry

Member since 30 Jul 2018

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions