Painting & Decorating Question

Paint chunks coming away from wall

I am painting my livingroom and as it is a old house, there was a little crack in the old paintwork. I picked at it to get the loose paint off but as I did so, big strips/chunks of paint came away from the plastered wall. I took off as much as I can and now there is a few patches on the wall. What is the best way to repair this without repainting the whole room/wall? I don't think it's damp... and hoping its bad paintwork!

I sanded the wall to feather the edges and then wiped it down. I read somewhere that you apply an undercoat onto the plaster and paint over it as usual. Now I am wondering whether I should fill it first? There is a lot of different things I have read and getting a bit confused. Any advice would be appreciated!

5 Answers

The best way forward would be to ensure all loose and flaking old paint is thoroughly scraped away. The area that has chipped away can then be face filled (mix filler to an even consistency then evenly apply a thin layer over surface of affected area). allow filler to thoroughly dry out for a few hours, once thoroughly dry lightly sand down with 120 grade sand paper. this will leave a smooth finish ready for painting. depending on your surface you can first apply a base undercoat then your final finishing coats. Job done :)

Answered 27th Mar 2018

TMC Property Maintenance

Member since 28 Jul 2015

Its a bit of an unusual one to answer without more information about the wall type etc. If it was only the paint that came away it may be that you can get away with applying a UPVC bond to the areas that have come away. Then you would need to match the paint colour and over paint the patches feathering them in to the existing paint. If some of the wall was coming away you could fill it first ensuring the filler is proud of the rest of the wall. Then sand it to a smooth and even finish and then paint. If large areas of the wall have come away, it is likley that you will have to chip away all loose parts of the wall and then fill and skim. Alternativly you could simply fill any holes with filler and then line the walls with lining paper and then paint. hope this helps

Answered 27th Mar 2018

Gem Contracting Services Ltd

Member since 5 May 2017

No feedback

Difficult to say without seeing it. You could cover the whole wall with lining paper to stabilise the surface. If you try to paint over without lining you will most likely have problems. Physical inspection is needed to determine best coarse of action as this can be a problem for numerous reasons

Answered 27th Mar 2018

AMB Decorating

Member since 27 Mar 2018

No feedback

Hi. A common problem that you have encountered there.
It can be repaired and made undetectable.
To do this well, look at puchasing a powdered filler made by toupret.
Either their interior filler or their tx110 interior filler ( both available from screwfix or a good decorators mechants)
Theyre easy to mix, to a reasonably firm consistency, apply with a wide flexible blade ( or artex caulking tool) until level or slightly proud of the existing paintwork, taking the repair out onto the paintwork. This can be achieved in a few applications if necessary, allowing the filler to set inbetween coats.
When set abrade (120-150 grit sandpaper on a block) level and smooth with the surrounding paintwork.
it can take a little practice/patience and there are plenty of videos etc online.
I stress the use of toupret for the following reasons:
It adheres to most substrates including painted surfaces.
Its easy to sand.
It doent flash or grin, so after a priming coat, it should absorb paint at the same level as the existing surfaces and the paint will dry at an even rate, meaning that the resultant sheen level( of your choice of paint) will be even.
Other fillers may not do this and after painting the repairs stand out because they are either more 'matt' or 'shiny' than the rest of the wall.
Hope this helps

Answered 27th Mar 2018

Timothy David Interiors

Member since 24 Jul 2017

Hi my advice to you is to get yourself some fine filler paint over patch with a little bits of pva finned with water when tacky put fine filler over top when dry lightly sand then put a primer over the top so the filler doesn’t bleed through paint followed by topcoat finish colour all the best

Answered 28th Mar 2018

JS Plastering and Decor

Member since 23 Mar 2018

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Painters & Decorators who can help you with your project.

Search all questions