Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Do i need an architect for a single story extension?

I'm unsure how to start this project, money is tight therefore I don't want to waste any. Do I need to a qualified architect to draw up plans, or will an architectural technician do? Or do I look for builders first and talk through my ideas? Or do I go to the council first to see if I will get permission, but will they need to see plans before they can decide?

3 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

An Architect is not always essential. A suitably experienced Architectural Technologist can produce a similar set of documents suitable for submission to council. Plus depending on the size of your extension it may fall under permitted development so a planning application may not be necessary. If you are Essex based our company offers a Concept study at a fraction of the cost of having plans made. This allows you to decide if the project is worth doing before committing to larger design fees.


Answered 20th Mar 2018

Yes You will need to get plans with a architect and submit to you local council for approval.


Answered 20th Mar 2018

Hi Angharad,

Hope Design Studio are quite correct and if you are Essex based you should contact them. However if you are in the vicinity of SW London or Surrey I'd be happy to have a free no obligation chat and review your details.




Answered 26th Mar 2018

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories