Extensions Question

Side and rear extention

im planning on a single storey extention to the side and rear of my property. Im only want to go out 3 metres max both at side and rear. Do i need planning consent for this?

6 Answers

Best Answer

Yes, it is very likely that you will. It largely depends on the size of your property and whether it is terraced or detached. Usually if you make the extension smaller it means you do not need permission as it is within 'permitted development'. If you own a flat you will definitely need permission.



for more detailed explanations.

Answered 6th Jan 2012

Lococo Ltd

Member since 4 Nov 2011

might be able to do it on permitted development .either way get in touch wiyh your local planning office they will advise you better on this matter

Answered 6th Jan 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

You will have to contact your local planning authority about this.There are LOADS of factors that will have to be considered before deciding as to whether it does or not.

Answered 6th Jan 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

Its always best to contact your local planning office, you will need building regs.

Answered 6th Jan 2012


Member since 29 Oct 2008

There are many factors involved but the most likely answer is yes even for some conservatories planning consent still required. I usually send a letter to the local planning department setting out what I intend to do with basic sketches and ask for them to advise if it can be done on a Building Notice under permited development or if it requires a full application.
Hope this helps.

Answered 7th Jan 2012

D.S.Lewis Building and Carpentry Contractors

Member since 21 Nov 2008

hi,, if your planning to go the rap around type , you may want to calculet to total m3 first this will indicate planning permision or not .. pease

Answered 14th Jan 2012

Architecural construction

Member since 28 Mar 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions