Damp Proofing Question

Damp proofing required?

We have recently got our kitchen wall plastered by the builder.
It seems that he just plastered whole kitchen without curing the possible damp.
It's been 2months since plaster was applied, but bottom parts of a kitchen wall is still wet.
I asked him to solve the problem, and he said he'll drill holes on the wet wall and put chemical. Is it the best solution?
I am wondering if I should get damp specialist or not.

6 Answers

Best Answer

Your builder should've treated the damp BEFORE re-plastering.
Obviously hasn't got a clue or just cutting corners & taking chances.

If he says he's going to drill walls and apply chemicals,the plaster will need to come off first.
Then re-plastered either with sand/cement with water-proofer/salt inhibitor in it or pre-mixed plaster such as Thistle Dri-Coat or Tarmac Limelite.
Anything else used for re-plastering (i.e gypsum based......browning,hardwall etc....) will be useless.

My advice.........get rid of your builder & get a Damp-proofing specialist in.

Hope this helps,


Answered 21st Mar 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

If your builder new the wall was damp, he should have done his preparation prior to plastering, ie damp course injection, if it damp higher up then wall should have been tanked, many systems available.
Then walls backing coat sand/cement with water proof in, before plaster.
I cant see that drilling holes will gaurantee to stop the damp.
I would get a damp proofing specialist in to carry out the required works, they will then give a gaurantee.

Answered 18th Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

I think he may have used the wrong plaster if your walls were quite damp the plaster should have been taken back to bare brick then injected either pressure or injection cream the new render coats should have a good quality waterproofer in them (follow manafactures instruction always) this would have visible dried out within days . Just injecting it now will probably not cure it as D.P.C still bridged
Obviously damp proof companies should easy cure this as they deal with this type of problem daily

Answered 18th Mar 2011

SL solutions

Member since 29 Jan 2010

Chemical injection damp proofing is most frequently used to arrest moisture from the ground wicking its way up through a wall that was built without a damp barrier. So without a doubt useful for improving that. However, it would be of limited use if the wall is of solid construction and the moisture is penetrating damp from above ground i.e. rain. Without knowing more detail it is hard to understand what the cause of the damp plaster is but I would suggest that you have this looked at professionally. The causes are not always obvious and the solutions are not always simple. Steve

Answered 18th Mar 2011

AVOW Contractors

Member since 18 Mar 2011

I addition to what AVOW says, the chemical injection is very good now, however he must remove at least 300mm of his new plaster around the rising damp. It available on ebay for diy sales with very good user instructions. (inject from silicone gun, drill half way into bricks 2 holes per brick, allow to cure and plug holes with silicone, let the chemical permiate the brick and stop water rising from ground level).; but always seek professional advice if not sure, a small fee for peace of mind. regards Mark

Answered 18th Mar 2011

Pro Finishing Services

Member since 12 Jan 2010

damp problems is not rocket science but most people just skim over problem and it comes back in few weeks.need ring some one who nos what there doing

Answered 9th Aug 2011

cleveland plaster

Member since 10 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions