Plumbing Question

Condensation on kitchen wall from hidden pipe

I recently had new cold water pipe put in kitchen and the fitter said it was best to bury in wall. When I painted the wall the paint ran and you could see what looks like condensation runs. He used cooper piping but no insulation. I had to get another fitter in to complete the kitchen as he took money to get taps and worktop and was never seen again. When the new guy took out the units the pipes are exposed in some places. Kitchen is now fitted but I am worried about the condensation, so any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks to those who have responded.

One quick question, could I run another pipe (exposed) and cap off the one in wall so that it is not used therefore no condensation?

3 Answers

Best Answer

if the fitter enclosed the pipes in the wall and then plastered over with no form of barrier between the copper and plaster then this needs to be sorted out, as the plaster over time will start to erode the copper. this will take years to happen but will at some point. Any non porous tape like duck tape etc to cover the bare pipe will be fine.

As others have said it is probably a small leak on a joint which its causing the damp as i have put many pipes sunk into walls where wall hung sinks have been used and no pipes to be shown, And have never had this problem.

Hope this helps

Answered 4th Jan 2012

Smiths Property Services

Member since 4 Jan 2012

As this is a cold supply pipe it may be at worst that the pipe is leaking from a joint. Also if it close to the rising main there can be water on the pipe which some people then think is a leak but all it realy is that with the outside tempt being cold and coming into a warm can cause condensation on pipe. sorry only way to be sure would be to expose the pipe to make sure no leak. I am also sorry that someone has taken money from you for parts and never came back please dont think all trades are like that. Oh and if he was from this site you should report him they take it very serious if youve been ripped off

Answered 4th Jan 2012


Member since 10 Oct 2007

Get them surface mounted, you can gurantee someone will drill through them at some time.

Answered 4th Jan 2012


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions