Gas Work Question

Hob - fixed or flexible

I am having a new kitchen installed and included is a gas hob. The hob is positioned above a 3 drawer unit and the electric oven is in a separate location. The installation instructions from the manufacturer states that a fixed pipe OR flexible hose can be used to connect to the gas. I've read conflicting advice about whether I can simply have the new hob installed (with bs reg flexible hose) or whether I'll need it connected via a fixed copper pipe. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

3 Answers

Best Answer

Manufacturers state either is suitable. But I would recommend that it’s installed using a fixed rigid copper pipe rather than a flexible hose as it takes up less room behind the drawers and would not get caught on the drawers like a hose could.

Answered 12th Feb 2018

Benjamin Jay

Member since 12 Feb 2018

I agree with the previous posters comments. Certain types of flexible hoses are now available as a result in advancement of new materials when installing domestic gas hobs that the manufactures approve but I still choose to use solid copper pipe.

NB: The manufactures appliance installation manual is our bible

Answered 13th Feb 2018

Boiler Homecare

Member since 6 Jan 2010

If manufacturers have said you can use a flexible hose then yes a gas hose connection can be used, so long as it does not interfere with your draw system below, if so I would use fixed copper with an isolation valve as per regs.

Answered 16th Feb 2018

RW Electrical Plumbing And Heating Ltd

Member since 5 Feb 2018

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions