Conservatories Question

We want a conservatory and does the maximum of 3m deep apply to internal or external size of the conservatory, my neighbour has a 3.5m deep one which he did not get planning permission for 8 years ago

We have a semi detatched bungalow and only measured it today and want to put up ONE 2m high cavatiy wall (with no windows and no maintanance) next to neighbours 1.60m wall with windows. We own the boundry but we cannot build on it as his wall and window tiles are on it. We have not been here long. We have refuse his request for window and gutter cleaning. We were told to build our workshop with maintanace access in our own garden by the planning department when we first moved in. They will not help with boundry issues. We cannot afford a private agreement and have a reasonable relationship with the neighbour so far! We find very helpful for DIY information to update our home. Thanks Anne

3 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Anne we build 15 to 20 conservatories per year the planning issues are exact throughout the country. If you follow this link it will take you to your local planning portal which is a three dimensional simulation which will show you what you can and cannot do.
As you live in a semi detached you will see on the portal that you can only go out three meters deep to external brick work unless you get planning. Your neighbour was lucky he did not get caught but unless a neighbour complains they will probably never know. Hope this helps.

Many Thanks
Major Glass and Glazing

Answered 4th Jan 2012

Major Glass and Glazing

Member since 17 Jun 2011

Hi Anne unfortunately when your neighbour had his conservatory built, different permitted development rules were in place to those that exist today. One of the factors was cubic volume created by all additions to the existing dwelling. Now it all depends on measurements and distances from boundaries. As per the answer above, the current rules are on the planning portal website. The 3m applies externally for planning permission. Your council are correct with the boundary issues, it's not that they won't help, it's more that they can't as there is nothing in the Town and Country Planning Act that allows them to get involved. It is a private civil issue.
My suggestion would be to review the portal and see if you can find a conservatory that fits your needs that doesn't need permission. If this is possible for you I would also advise you apply for a "Lawful Development Certifictate for a proposed development" to your Council's planning team. The fee is £75 and will need drawings but it will give you a full legal document proving you didn't need to apply (this is extremely useful in disputes and property sales).



Answered 31st Jan 2012

UK Property Services

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Give your local building control officer, via your local council, he will advise you what you can do, and get it in writing beforehand.
Some councils are relaxed about sizes and some quite strict.

Answered 3rd Jan 2012


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conservatory Installers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions