Windows Question

Is fensa registered to the person or the company?

I have just found that my windows needs changing due to the windows being exterly beedding not internally. My friend changes windows but he is not FENSA registered but is employed by a company that is,is that covered if the owner checks the work?

7 Answers

Best Answer

Hello tonypotts,

Either, can be an individual or a company. He has to be Fensa registered as an individual, if he is working outside the company to issue the certificate. Owner? If you mean the owner of the fensa company he usually works for? They will be able to issue the certificate through their company. The owner of the property isn't acceptable, but you can contact your council for building regulation approval.

Kind Regards


Answered 1st Jan 2012

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

Hi tonypotts_23

FENSA was set up by the Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF) at the request of the CLG to allow registered companies to self-certify that their installations comply with current Building Regulations.
A FENSA contractor is approved to carry out the work in accordance with relevant regulations without inspection by the council and will inform FENSA when installation has been completed. Random inspections of completed work are carried out.
A certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered under the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme by FENSA, or a Person registered by BM Trada Certification Limited, the British Standards Institution or CERTASS Limited.
Any installation undertaken by a company which is not registered with FENSA or a similar body, or has been done as a DIY project by a homeowner, will need full Local Authority Building Control approval. All Local Authorities will know of the registered businesses in their areas and can identify unauthorised work very easily.It should be noted that the homeowner is ultimately responsible for ensuring the installation complies with these requirements.

Remember when selling your property, surveyors will ask for evidence that replacement glazing installed after April 2002 complies with the new Building Regulations.

If your friend is doing this as a favour for you then you would need to inform your local building control as mentioned in the above information.If your friends owner who is FENSA registered checks the installation and they are replacement windows then again the installation needs to be recorded with FENSA. If in doubt contact your local building control at the council help and advice.

Hope this helps

Trevor & Mike

Answered 31st Dec 2011

ID Windows Doors Glazing

Member since 21 Nov 2011

Hi, no afraid not - he has to be registered unless he can get his employer to register them or alternatively you can apply to your council for building regulation approval for them


Answered 2nd Jan 2012

AJ Plastering & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2010

fensa is the company

Answered 1st Jan 2012

tamworth fascia force

Member since 15 Nov 2011


Answered 2nd Jan 2012

whapshott generalhousemaintenance

Member since 3 Jan 2010

Fensa is registered to the company.

Answered 2nd Jan 2012

Neighbour Construction Ltd

Member since 13 Jun 2008

Fensa or Certass registered installers can self certify their windows and doors to say that they have been installed according to Part L Buiding reg's.
If the windows don't meet regulations after a mates fitted them then they will have to be replaced with ones that do. I.e Bedroom windows being means of escape, glazing being toughened etc. This will only come to light if you come to sell the house or a building inspector is called out to pass the job.
Once the job is certified then it is also open to inspection by Fensa or Certass, If the company issues a cert without approving the job (unseen) and it is not installed to building reg's then the company will be liable.

Answered 9th Jan 2012

Birkenshaw Windows

Member since 8 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions