Central Heating Question

Changing size of radiator

Hi the radiator in the living room is a 600mm x 2650mm single panel. The room is 4.29m x 5 m and the ceilings are high. The room isn't was
rm enough - radiator seems too small? Can you help decide what size radiator would be the right size? I thought a 800 x 2600 double would be good and hopefully won't need much change to the pipes? If i get a different width rad can the pipes be changed to fit the new radiator without too much expense? Also do you think the new programmable radiator valbes are worth the money? Thanks for the advice. Mel

3 Answers

Best Answer

you can get chrome pipe extentions from screw fix or plumb cente to take up differance in length but a double stands of wall a lot more than single ,if you turn bracket so shallow side stands out it is likely you can get the tails to fit .you dont say if its wood floor or concrete new valves work great if large house and rooms not in full use if not prog and stat well suffice with thermostatic control valves.if not get local engineer in to drain down and alter pipework or if not freeze and alter thanks george

Answered 2nd Jan 2012

George Giles Home Improvements

Member since 2 Nov 2008

hi, that would be too big - you need rad around 8800btu
so 600 x 1800 double would be fine


Answered 2nd Jan 2012

AJ Plastering & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2010

Based on your room measurements, and the following assumptions:
Brick construction, double glazed, 2 external walls in the room and a heated room above, and wood flooring construction .

With consideration to current radiator size, I would suggest you need only install a 2.6m double rad of 500mm height only, . Your room needs approx 7k BTU's so this is oversized really BUT, if you keep to this size it will mean minimal (if all at any ) adjustment to current pipework. The 50mm extra from new to your current pipework can easily be bridged by a extension tail nut. (couple of quid). I would always say go bigger with a rad for obvious reasons.

To changed valves though would mean draining the system down, so every installer will carry out a job in their own preferred method, therefore ask for a couple of options which would alter the cost if necessary. Prog trv's gotta be the way forward I think . They then control each individual room to your exact requirements... Best of luck,

Answered 1st Jan 2012

The Property Team

Member since 19 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Heating Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions