Electrical Question

We are being asked what kva we require for our new build. it is a 4 bed detached house? any formula's tp work to per sq mtr or similar?

2 Answers

Best Answer

You need to know how many electric showers, cookers, etc you have if heating is electric etc? Best way is to declare that all you need it a 100amp supply or work out KVa for a maximum 100amp supply. The cost of a new supply will dramaitaclly increase when you/if execed 100amps anyway. most domestic houses are 60 to 100amp max. As the other poster has said the formula is as follows;

The total power S in kilovolt-amps is equal to current I in amps, times the voltage V in volts, divided by 1000:

For most UK domestic propertives Maximum demand will be 100amps (I) and voltage will be 230 (V)

S(kVA) = I(A) × V(V) / 1000

So kilovolt amps are equal to amps times volts divided by 1000.

kilovolt-amps = amps × volts / 1000

So as a guide 100 x 230 = 23000/1000 = 23Kva

Hope this helps

Answered 1st Jan 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Most domestic installations have a 100amp main fuse provided by the electricity supplier. Therefore 100 amps x 230 volts = 23000 volt amps or

Answered 31st Dec 2011

STR Property Services

Member since 1 Feb 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions