Ask a tradesman


Ex council ground floor flat

Hi all, l am interested in having a extension to the side of my ex council ground floor flat. It is in a tenement style building with 4 levels and mines is at the ground floor. My property is the only one that has it's main door and has a backdoor which goes out to a small private plot of land (rectangular shape) and as you walk through this small plot of land you then come to a small gate which you enter the communal gardens.

I'm wondering if its possible to have an extension utilising the plot of land for a double size bedroom. After looking at the title deeds l'm still not sure about this. Who would be the best person to speak to about this, to find out if l am even allowed to do it in the first place?

Before l spend money trying to look at planning permission and all that.

Any opinions would be appreciated

2 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

Your first port of call has to be your Local Planning Authority.

Make an appointment by ringing them and explaining your intentions and then go and see them with drawings and photos.

The more information you can take the better.

This meeting is often free and they may even come and have a look for free. They will also point you in the right direction if it might be viable.

As it is the planning folks who dictate the yes or know, no-one else is really relevant to talk to.


Answered 9th Dec 2017

As a ground floor flat you are most likely leasehold?,...So first thing is to get permission from the freeholder that you proposed extension would be ok. This would normally be done through your solicitor.
Depending on what the outcome is from the freeholder, the size of extension you could well come under "permitted development." Look online and /or speak to the planners they normally have a duty officer available to talk to or pop in and see.


Answered 13th Jan 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories