Damp Proofing Question

Property condensation issues

Hi. We've got a ventilation issue in our house. It's a semi detached house with flat roof dormers. There's an open staircase down to the lounge with a kitchen/dining room sandwiched between the conservatory, which is positioned at the back of the house. We're having a problem with condensation and misted windows on the lounge bay window area and throughout the house; around bedroom windows and landing window. The kitchen has no ventilation due to its positioning in the house and no window, air bricks or extractor fan. There are no air bricks in the property. What would be the best solution to this issue to rid the condensation and damp issues?

3 Answers

Best Answer

90% of high humidity emanates from the kitchen and bathroom.An open plan layout requires very good extraction.All kitchens must have a cooker hood extractor preferably with a external vent system and used every time the hob is used.Bathrooms need a extractor with a built in humidistat and door closed at all times.Trickle vents fitted to windows suffering from condensation.
Do's and Do'nts below.
Hope this helps.
• Never dry anything on top or in front of radiators
• Always keep door closed when using the bath or shower and close when finished.
• Never store items or place furniture in front of an outside walls
• Always use cooker hood extractor when using the hob (if fitted)
And keep kitchen door closed
• Never obstruct air brick vents (if fitted)
• Never close trickle vents on UPVC windows (if fitted)
• Try to maintain a constant temperature during the months of October and March (18c-21c)
• All extractor fans should have built-in humidistat or a long over run facility

Answered 3rd Dec 2017

MJH Damp Surveyors

Member since 11 Sep 2017

your house would benefit from a P.I.V. system.

good luck alex

Answered 3rd Dec 2017

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

A vent in glass window.
Extractor fan ..kitchen area.for use of cooking.
Bathroom. Fan to window..
Old fire place.could not be vented.this would cause big issue

Answered 3rd Dec 2017

DJA Building Services

Member since 17 Nov 2017

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions