Restoration & Refurbishment Question

I am looking to buy a property, possibly one that requires some refurbishment. how would i know if heating and electrics would need to be re-done and roughly how much with this cost? thank you

The properties I'm looking at are roughly 3 bed, 2 storey house (c1200 sq ft). I'd also like to know if this type of work usually comes with any sort of guarantee.

3 Answers

Best Answer

I guess your just ;looking at properties as a potential buyer and don't get to look very deep! A visual check of the electric consumer unit will tell you a lot, is it a modern RCD protected curcuit, ie trip switches, or is it an older fusewire job.
If it's been replaced, the electrician will have an installation date sticker or last test sticker on it, get in touch get his appraisal.
Same with the gas, if you don't know what your looking for, look at the boiler for signs of service.
prices depend on area and availabilty of the trades. Currently we pay £1700, here for full rewire and test certificates.
a full gas condensing bolier and radiator system in copper starts at £2500 for 3 bed home. (prices depend on area and the spec of what you install)
hope this helps
regards Mark

Answered 16th Mar 2011

Pro Finishing Services

Member since 12 Jan 2010

the sellers of your house you are looking at will answer your questions for you ask them has any of the electrics or plumbing been up dated .take a look at the consumer box ie fuse box and see if their are rcd trip switches or the old fuse wire type ,ask them how old is the boiler and has it all been reg serviced and how old it is ,an average price for a rewire on a 3 bed property would be around 2500 pounds and a new central heating would be roughlly2300 to 3000,just a new boiler about 900 to 12oo depending on what boiler you would replace with,get an electrician and a plumber out to look for you the seller wouldnt mind as this shows your interest in the property and they just want to sell it hope this helps you a bit

Answered 17th Mar 2011

Finebuild Builders

Member since 26 Feb 2009

As per the first 2 replies, depends on the area and costings for new electrics, heating. For the boiler ask a gas safe guy to have a look at it all. They will not charge your for estimates, and teh estate agents should let you have access for this to happen. Ask the sellers how old the boiler is etc.

Answered 17th Mar 2011

Tomlinson Roofing

Member since 14 Sep 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions