Damp Proofing Question

How do i deal with damp?

I have a property that's affected by damp. I went to a DIY shop and was sold an expensive paint and advised to use it to stop the damp. I followed instructions, but now I know it requires more than just paint work. How can i deal with this situation? Do I need a plumber or what sort of expertise is required?

4 Answers

Best Answer

Get a damp-proofing specialist in.

Answered 20th Dec 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

Hello Jimi.
There are many paints and chemicals available for quick fix damp problems but, ultimately, all they do is cover up the problem temporarily.
To fix the problem permanently you will need to hack off all the plaster and render off the wall to about 6" above the damp line and have the walls injected with a special fluid which crystalises within the bricks and mortar, making them impermeable to water.
Spyros Spyrou

Answered 20th Dec 2011

Mr Spyros Spyrou

Member since 9 Dec 2011

firstly you have to locate the sourse of the water ingress and stop this then you can deal with the damage it has caused.
post your job in the damproofing section of the site and get someone round to advize you on the best course of action.

merry christmas alex

Answered 20th Dec 2011

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

if rising damp eg from floor upwards then damp injection is advisable .if penetrating damp eg above floor level then check for damaged brickwork, mortar or timber and repair .you can spray on a brick/cement water proofer .paint will peel off if put on damp area

Answered 20th Dec 2011

crest installations and maintenance services

Member since 25 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions