Architectural Services Question

How to go about obtaining building control regularisation for works completed by previous owner?

I purchased a 4 storey townhouse in SE London that has had a loft conversion and remodelling works to turn the house into an MOH. Their is no planning permssion or building control consent/sign off (i knew this and purchased with an insurance indemnity). The work was carried out 3 years ago and I can prove that. The planning for the loft conversion is not an issue as about 50% of other properties in my street have done the same conversions - (PDR removed).

I want to get restropective planning permmission for the loft and apply for planning for a new single storey kitchen extension. I will need to get building consent for both plus I am unsure what I will need to do in respect of turning the first floor back to it's original spec (lounge/diner) and remove the bedrooms and bathroom that are currently in situ.

I am confused about what to do first to ensure the easiest (proper) route to gain planning permission and building regularisation?

I also planto refurb the property

Any advise would be much appreciated.


4 Answers

As your planning on doing more alterations and refurbishments, get a good Architect and structural engineer on board.
They should be able to assist in getting the other works signed of.

Answered 19th Dec 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Hi Simon,
You need an Architect to draw preliminary drawings of your loft space to apply for the relevant permissions. If 50% of the houses on your street have done similar, planning should understand.
The Architect could also apply for your single story extension, he/she will need a structural engineer to certify tensile strengths on imposed loads and similar preliminary drawings to be granted consent. After you consent is approved, building regulations drawings must be created stating the existing plan, proposed plan, unique materials, foundation types etcetera.

Then you need a Quantity Surveyor to wright a cost plan and a Scope of Works or Bill of Quantities. Once complete you can put the work out to tender in proper form and save your self from being ripped off by cowboys.

Unsurprisingly, I offer all these services and can help you through every step.
If you'd like a guide price to undertake your works please contact me.

Thanks, hope this helped.

Edward J. Webb
Quantity Surveyor

Answered 20th Dec 2011

Royals Construction Professionals

Member since 4 Nov 2011

hi simon,

If your still wondering , How, When or What,, then please see my feedback for this type of construction and services, ill take out the jargen for you

regards kevin

Answered 29th Dec 2011

Architecural construction

Member since 28 Mar 2010

Dear Simon, from what you describe it sounds like the works which were carried out to the property are in breech of Planning Regulations currently. This can be dealt with by submitting a retrospective Planning Application to your local authority.

To address the second point, Building Regulations Approval, This can be dealt with by appointing an Approved Inspector. He /she will inspect the works carried out and may require you to alter adjust some aspects if they do not satisfy current Building Regulations. An Approved Inspector can take you through the process of acquiring Building Regulations Approvals for your proposed works.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance preparing drawings for either aspect.

Best Regards Lee Davidson RIBA

Answered 30th Dec 2011

Lee Davidson RIBA

Member since 22 Jan 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions