Architectural Services Question

If i am not extending my property and only changing interior, do i need planning permission?

We're planning to convert a two storey garage into a kitchen with mezanine level; split bedroom 4 so bedroom 3 can have an ensuite; put an ensuite into a large bedroom 1; strip and re-fit several existing bathrooms; strip out what is the existing kitchen and make it into two rooms whilst using some of the units there to fit out a utility room.

3 Answers

Best Answer

Hi isfl, the majority of garage conversions fall within your house's 'Permitted Development Rights' which enables you to make certain changes to your home without the need for planning permission. In order to obtain written confirmation from the council that the changes you propose don't require planning permission you can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

You will still need Building Regulations approval for the garage conversion, putting in the mezzanine and if you are knocking through a load bearing wall in bedroom 3 to access the en-suite.

Answered 13th Dec 2011

Architectural Services

Member since 1 Dec 2011

You might need planning, best to contact your local bco via the Council, you will probably need building regs as well.
Small alterations are okay, but your changing use of garage to habitable.

Answered 13th Dec 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Probably not but you will need to call building control at your local authority, plus structural engineers calculations for any structural or load-bearing alterations.

Answered 14th Dec 2011

Goldenseal Construction

Member since 19 Nov 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions