Ask a tradesman


Soak aways on new block paving

Is it by law you have to have a soak away, if you are having brick paving done please?

3 Answers from MyBuilder Driveway Pavers

I can't take credit for the answer but a quick google tells you everything you need to know.
Planning laws for household driveways

On 1 October 2008 new rules applied for householders wanting to hard surface over their front gardens. If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres, you are required to get planning permission for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not control rainwater running off onto roads. This will apply to new driveways, drive extensions or drive replacements.

You do NOT need planning permission if the surface to be covered is less than five square metres or if the new surface is permeable or porous or if a traditional surface is laid and the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally or if it is directed to a soakaway via a drainage channel. An estimated 70% of existing driveways already drain in a sustainable way.

Existing drives and products

No retrospective planning consent is needed for existing driveways and hard surfaces.

Solutions available to avoid the need for planning permission

A wide range of solutions is available, in five main groups:

Permeable paving
Sustainable drainage systems (SUDS) or rainwater harvesting systems (RWH)
Porous asphalt
Gravel or a mainly green, vegetated area, such as wheel tracks in traditional materials with a surrounding permeable area
Traditional hard surfaces with controlled run-off to your garden or lawn or to a purpose-built rain garden or soakaway


Answered 1st Oct 2017



Answered 4th Oct 2017

The aim is that any water falling on the front garden should soak into the front garden. You don't need a soak-a-way if you use porous paving although porous paving should only be used if the drive slopes away from the house.

If you have the room and the right falls you can direct any surface water onto lawns or flowerbeds.

Any soak-a-way should be a least 5m from a property wall.


Answered 8th Oct 2017

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories