Plastering Question

External render

Our Home is 2 years old.
We have had bit of wind up here in Glasgow and a big bit of External render
Has come off the side of the house about 6ft buy 5ft. Who should I get to sort this out.The NHBC or my home insurance Hope somr one can help

Thank you all.
Had the builders round today And they are going to sort it all out So Thank you all you were a grate help

7 Answers

Best Answer

Id call NHBC first.

Answered 9th Dec 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

contact your insurance first they will identify who is to blame

Answered 9th Dec 2011

DJWilliams maintenance

Member since 25 Oct 2011

It should be covered on your homes building insurance and there normally very good and quick to sort it out as a rule. But obviously it will push your premium up.

Another option depending on how you bought the house because its only 2 years old. Is if its from a large housing developer (Barrets type ect) You may be able to claim that the render was defective.
I think, double check this 1st but i believe that all work plumbing leaks, electrical or anything structural like that should be be gaurenteed by the developer for a period of around 5 years. But like i say look into it 1st and you'l probably have to argue a bit.

Hope i was some help

Answered 9th Dec 2011

LKJ Plastering

Member since 9 Dec 2011

Your buildings insurance will cover the cost but you will need to get a couple of quotes to send to them.If all else fails you could patch it up with a couple of deep fried mars

Answered 9th Dec 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

if you bought it as a new build the house could be still under the builders warranty i would contact them first to see what is covered

Answered 9th Dec 2011

John Hodgins Plastering & Renovation Services

Member since 17 Nov 2011

The NHBC firstly if the house is covered under their warranty. You should have a certificate or some documents highlihting the houses warranty. You should find the correct number on there to contact them.

Wind should not blow render off a wall, it sounds like it has been incorrectly applied. But an NHBC warranty officer should be able to determine this and get it sorted out.


John Briner
Briner and Sons Ltd

Answered 9th Dec 2011

Briner & Sons Ltd

Member since 2 Mar 2009

Get straight in touch with the original builder as rendering should stand up to strong winds, it was obviously defective.

Answered 10th Dec 2011

task construction

Member since 19 Jan 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions