Restoration & Refurbishment Question

My house was buils in 1930s. just moved in, stripped kitchen walls to find quite rubbish concrete render on them, falling away in some areas.. what am i best doing to fix to make look smooth and new?

Ideas i have are to replaster and smooth off, chip away render to brickwork and apply plasterboard, apply asterboard directly to the existing wall. I have. O idea here and need some help.

3 Answers

Best Answer

If you decide to dry line the walls I would recommend you use insulating plaster board you will loose two inches on the external walls but will make a difference in heating the house

Answered 9th Dec 2011

Bailey's Carpentry and Property Maintenance

Member since 6 Dec 2011

If they are external solid walls, a house that is that old could have been done in a lime plaster, to allow the walls to breathe, if not then the quickest way would be to dot and dab plasterboard and skim.
Remember if you dot and dab you need good fixings for any kitchen units.

Answered 8th Dec 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

You need to hire a professional as this is not a job for a D.I.Y er

Answered 9th Dec 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions