Electrical Question

Are fire alarms required for electrical conditional certificate ?

My electrician is asking £200 + material + 3 fire alarms.
A 3 bed house, not a rental property. The electrician said that without 3 fire alarms (kitchen, entrance and upstairs landing), the council will not pass the electrical conditional certificate.

Is that possible ? right price ? cannot battery powered fire alarms be used ?


updates: just to clarify. We are moving to our new home and therefore we are carrying a security check to peace of mind. At the same time we have installed few spot lights and moved few sockets. The electrician completed all the work, including the inspection, and the only problem that he found was the fire alarms.

3 Answers

Best Answer

The council, or do you mean Building Control? have nothing to do with an Electrical Installation Condition Report? If you are using a part p spark then he would notify BC himself. And, indeed if he was installing mains detectors he would have to issue you with a certificate and it wouldn't be an EICR! Are you having any other electrical work done here? As this all seems a bit weird if I'm honest.
Your update... so I guess you have asked for the alarms to be installed as they are not mandatory, even so it's a good idea, but not something I would pick up on a EICR. It's not even a notifiable job to BC. So don't really know why he would say BC wouldn't pass it. As for original question yes why not use battery ones, as his price, depending or not where you are in the country seems all a bit over the top tbh. You can get wireless interlinked ones with a 10 year life these days no wiring involved.

Answered 8th Aug 2017


Member since 13 Jan 2015

If you are having an electrical condition report (EICR) then it should just be listed as a code 3 recommendation, which just means improvement is suggested. If this was a significant refurbishment or a new build then it would be essential but there is no requirement for them to be fitted retrospectively. However I would recommend you do have them fitted for your safety.

Answered 8th Aug 2017

AMG Electrical

Member since 4 Aug 2017

Smoke/heat detector by law only rental properties must have them. In a property that inhabited by the owner it's never a legal requirement but a good idea for your own and your families safety.

In occasions like this I always suggest battery powered as the most cost effective option. You can get a reputable one with 10 years battery with just over £10. Of course the best option is mains powered but all people can or want to spent that amount of money.

Funny enough just 2 days ago I was looking at the government's guidance on the matter.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms-explanatory-booklet-for-landlords/the-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-england-regulations-2015-qa-booklet-for-the-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

Answered 9th Aug 2017

ERU Electrics Ltd

Member since 29 Mar 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions