Bricklaying Question

Does building a brick arch take specialist skills

I have two brick arches that extend from the house across side gates to adjoining walls but they have fractured.
Is brick arch work a specialist skill
and if the side of the arch goes into house brickwork does that bring it under building regulations.

Thanks for the answers they were very helpful

4 Answers

Best Answer

Yes more so because the bricks that have to be cut must be to the millimetre in order to show the art work design in arch

Answered 27th Jul 2017

Rowe Brickwork Limited

Member since 14 Jul 2017

No feedback

A good brick layer should Be able to carry out that work but make sure you check him out and see previous work he has done and feedback from other customers

Answered 27th Jul 2017

Laymore Fencing and Repair Specialist

Member since 18 Apr 2017

If you have existing brick arches which have fractured you could make a arch former prop it under existing arch and mark existing bricks on former then dismantle arch and rebuild it using a string line fixed to centre of former to line in each brick but this depends on type of arch,but if you know nothing about brickwork don't go near it as it will be a disaster.You would be advised to leave it to a brickie.

Answered 28th Jul 2017

SNC Building and Paving Services

Member since 26 Nov 2013

The most important part is to get the forms right i.e. the timber that you build the brickwork over as you have the arches you can just copy them as someone has just stated . building them should be know problem to a proper bricklayer as you just build to the timber formed arch . Sorry not sure about building regs on it being connected to house .

Answered 29th Jul 2017


Member since 27 Jul 2017

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions