Kitchen Fitting Question

Kitchen work top getting water damaged by sink

My work top is a few years old but in good nick but the bits around the sink get very wet and the bit by the fake draw by the sink has started to expand due to water damage. Is there anything I can do to the area to stop it getting worse? Im thinking of applying some kind of coating or something?? Please help!

3 Answers

Best Answer

Jon, Is it laminate or timber?

Either way if it's laminate, there is not a great deal that can be done once it goes on the surface, other than replacement of the top. If it's minor damage on the front edge underneath where the chipboard has expanded, you can plane the chipboard back and re-seal the chipboad, how long that will last is anyones guess.

Wood would need sanding back and re sealing...

Hope this helps

Answered 5th Dec 2011

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

any cut outs for hobs and sinks in laminate worktops should be covered in pva glue or silicone mastic to prevent water damage. any tradesman will do this and guarantee the work so i would try and contact them for free remedial works.


Answered 6th Dec 2011

arrowsmiths building services

Member since 17 May 2008

Replace the whole thing once one bit goes it slowly all gos and it will eventually cost you in repair materials what a new top would cost,B and Q are having a great sale in that department you could probably pick one up for 40 50 quid maybe less.
It makes sense.
Chris spence

Answered 24th Dec 2011

Bright Painting & Decorating Services

Member since 18 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions