Plastering Question

When do you plaster

when do you plaster before or aftar you move the plug sockets to the electric hob and oven? thanks there was a family agruement about it!

10 Answers

Best Answer

After.Doesnt make much sense to finish a wall before you start moving things on it.

Answered 2nd Dec 2011

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

I personally like to skim over socket back boxes 1st and clean them out just before the plaster sets. If you leave the plaster to harden fully it tends to chip out when u clean the box out. Of course you can only do this if the cables are not live as wet plaster and metal plasterer's trowel conduct electricity!

Answered 5th Dec 2011

S. Murby General Builder

Member since 13 Oct 2011

There will usually be some disturbance whenever a socket is fitted particularly if the cable and/or sockets are sunk into the wall, so plastering would be best kept back until that has been done.
I note someone mentioned Part P, that is for England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own regs. so it depends where you are working.

Answered 2nd Dec 2011

Lindsay and Son Electricians

Member since 10 Nov 2011

Get all 1st fix electrics done, then plaster, then 2nd fix electrics.

Answered 2nd Dec 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

hi tony you usually plaster when the first fix elecs has been done, ie back box and wires are in place, carry out the plaster work then wire to the socket faces known as the second fix

Answered 2nd Dec 2011

John Hodgins Plastering & Renovation Services

Member since 17 Nov 2011

move the sockets first then plaster, regards Terry.

Answered 3rd Dec 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

simple , after

Answered 3rd Dec 2011

Mike Turner Building Services and Electrical

Member since 9 Sep 2010

After would be the normal way.

Answered 4th Dec 2011

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

After, then you wont have any making good of your new plasterwork.

Answered 2nd Dec 2011

ABM plastering

Member since 21 Feb 2011


Not sure if this is a genuine question, if it is then get all the alterations you need to have made done, if this is for a customer you will need to have this done by a certified part P electrician.

Answered 4th Dec 2011

Spectrum uk

Member since 13 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions