Insulation Question

I want to soundproof a party wall in a small bungalow without losing too much space. any suggestions ?

3 Answers

Best Answer

12.5mm thick Gyproc Soundbloc boards fixed with Green Glue.
So long as the existing plaster is good & sound,you can fix directly onto this with the boards & the glue.
1 layer of board fixed with the glue will make a significant difference to your soundproofing,even better with 2 layers of boards but please bear in mind that it might not give you 100% soundproofing as sound can travel through floors & ceilings.
You will need approx 2 tubes of the glue per 2400mm x 1200mm board.
Any good builders merchant will sell Soundbloc.
Details of where to buy Green Glue are here:


for more information on the product and 'how to' video.


Answered 2nd Dec 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

Dry lining with thermo board may help a little. Its relatively cheap but wont make a huge difference. Best approach is to line the wall with acoustic blanket. To do this you will need to put up 2x2 battens on the wall, fit the blanket between them, then screw whats called resilient bars across the battens at 400mm centers. These bars are what you fix your plasterboard to, they effectively separate the plasterboard from the wall so as to transmit as little noise as possible. Ideally use 2 layers of acoustic plasterboard staggering the joints and seal the joints with acoustic sealant. Down side of this method is you could be loosing up-to 6 inches of room space.

Answered 5th Dec 2011

S. Murby General Builder

Member since 13 Oct 2011

you can apply a layer of sound coat plaster onto the existing walls and then you could dot and dab sound proof plasterboards to the wall then skim, this whole process will loose you about two - three inches off the size of the room

Answered 2nd Dec 2011

John Hodgins Plastering & Renovation Services

Member since 17 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Insulation Installers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions